bookgirl11

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Thing #15 Thoughts on Web 2.0 and Library 2.0

I thought the articles from the OCLC Newsletter were very thought provoking. Working in public service we often get burned out and bogged down and lose focus of why we went into the field of librarianship in the first place. Speaking for myself, I choose a career in libraries because I loved connecting people with books and helping them find that information. Libraries today are so different than when I was a student worker in the local public library. People came in for help with their homework projects or asked for recommendations on their next reading choice. The Internet has changed everything. But, in a good way I think.

I really enjoyed Rick Anderson's article "Away from Icebergs". It really resonates with me. I used to be one of those people that thought we needed to have that book on birdhouses even though it hasn't checked out in years because it was the only book we had left on birdhouses (maybe birdhouses is not a great example, but you see where I am going!). This idea is totally outdated. With the internet, anything is obtainable as long as you know how to search. Unfortunately, in today's society, libraries are not the first place that people look to for information...Google is. Even as a librarian, I usually go to Google. It's just easier. It can be done from the comfort of your couch. It also kind of goes back to that "give 'em what they want, or give 'em what they need" debate. Who are we to say what they need? I ceretainly don't want to make those decisions for someone.

The other point that really made me think was Mr. Anderson's views on the "come to us" model of service. As I said before, technology has changed everything and we need to think of ways to become more valued to our customers and give them what they can't get out there. I'm not sure of how to do that, but we have so many great thinkers at PLCMC, I'm sure we will come up with something!

1 Comments:

  • I think you're right on the great thinkers comment... we have a lot of bright and innovative staff among our ranks and thoughtful posts like this show you're among them. :)

    By Blogger HeleneB, at 5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home